Re: Question from seul-edu

>tend to be 486s (with some 386s) with 4-16 MB RAM and ~150 MB hard drives.  A
>
>question has come up as to what video capabilities will be most prevalent.  W
>were wondering if 640x480 8bpp SVGA cards were common enough to count on, or
>if
>we should plan on VGA16 capability only.  The group pretty much decided that
>especially for the younger children some sort of GUI would be needed.

You would get VGA16 by not having at least 640x480=307200 bytes of video
memory. In my experience most recycled VGA or better cards have at least
512kB. Those that don't can serve as video cards on servers. 16 colours
is very limiting and a lot of software cannot cope.
-
ComputerBank Australia -- http://www.computerbank.org.au/