Re: [Computerbank] Fees

Hi All,
Heres is my 2 cents worth as well...

I can see the need to generate income to keep the infrastructure of CB going...  (rent, power, telephones etc) and I can see the need to keep computers free for low income people.  Is there another path...   Offer to sell computers to wage earners at a price commensurate with their second hand value ....

Ken Young

>>> <vulterra@telstra.easymail.com.au> 07/06/01 08:45AM >>>
G'day all!

I'm fairly new to Linux, and this correspondence although written on Linux, has actually been sent on proprietory software, but anyway, my point is as follows;

I became involved with Linux and Computerbank Victoria because:

1.  Machines and peripheral are being FREELY donated by companies/individuals because they believe we can do some good with them.

2.  Machines and peripheral are "serviced" by people who donate their time, money, and talent FREELY because of their community spirit.

3.  Training for recipients to use the machines correctly, is given FREELY by people who want to pass on their skills to others.

4.  That NO payment was received at any time for equipment / services provided by any member of Computerbank, other than as a donation if the recipient wished - it was neither asked, nor solicited for!!

5.  Most of the machines are not commercially viable or able to have current proprietory software on them.

6.  That Computerbank was set-up in order to assist disadvantaged and low-income persons like myself get a computer, and not be left behind in the I.T. age in which we live, because of the greedy mongrels like Mr Bill Gates.

7.  We should be approaching companies/people who can afford to give money, not the people we are trying to help!!

I for one would not be as fortunate to have my PC, and I will fight to keep it the way it was intended to be.  If people want to sell computers then they should be second-hand dealers, not in a community spirited organisation!!

Well that's my 2 cents worth, if I have read the correspondence wrong I apologise, but if I am right, and I think I am, then maybe some others need to think about what I have said, what they are looking for/trying to do and decide whether computerbank is the way for them.

Vulterra