Re: [Computerbank] Our service philosophy and linux

Hi Kylie,

Not being a CB volunteer I hope my response is appropriate... however from a
clients perspective... (recipient, user, beneficiary :).

I was unaware of any warranty on the computers CB NSW provided for our Youth
Cafe, and doubt that had any warranty been offered that it would be binding
in the case of freely donated hardware (or software for that matter) unless
provided in the form of a contractual agreement between both parties.

If you are going to provide a warranty, you would also need to be aware of,
and prepared for any potential liability implications... (one of our
computers catches fire and burns-out a $500,000.00 building whilst under
warranty - are you covered for this?). Warranty also carries legal
implications for recall etc. in the event of known faults - for example a
lot of older computers still have faulty AMD Power Supplies that were
subject to recall (but never returned)... would, or could, you warrant
these?

With respect to Linux, we fully intend to maintain and promote linux as the
operating system of choice... (because we like it, we respect the ethos with
which the computers were donated, and we think it offers local youth
development potential), however is CB in the business of donating computers
to the needy (ala ComputerBank), or are you simply promoting Linux? -
Undoubtedly some recipients will load *something else*... it could be they
are given a bunch of SCO licences, or decide to check-out BSD, or maybe Bill
will come to the party and hand-out Win 95 licences for free... would it be
in the best interests of your users (like the term Katarina!) to discount
the possibility and subsequently formalise a policy of 'Linux or nothing'?
... you might well pick up a bunch of new volunteers should the free OS
situation change overnight... just a thought.

Maybe support can be offered for Linux for a period of time and your users
simply advised that CB does not currently support any other OS (so don't
ask) - However I don't see how CB can exist as an entity without (at some
point) offering commercial support arrangements - you can't support the
systems freely forever, and at some point your volunteers will need to
recoup overheads and have a means of generating income (PS - This is not
unheard of amongst volunteer organisations - many volunteer firefighters
subcontract services as fire prevention consultants and are recommended by
their respective agencies - same applies to Surf Lifeguards who 'moonlight'
as surfing and fitness instructors amongst others).

In closing - have any recipients complained about the use of the term
'recipients'? - Maybe this is just internal political correctness and the
'masses' couldn't care less (I had never even thought about the term until
it was raised here). Also there is a danger in the comment: "but are not
recips receiving something that 'somebody' i.e. 'we' decide to give them"? -
It might be valuable to make a distinction in this area to prevent any
claims of favouritism or prejudice... always dangerous for an NFP entity...
Recipients should be determined on a firm basis of eligibility and their
subsequent place on a queue... to promote the concept that CB 'chooses' who
to give, or to not give computers to implies a lack of eligibility criteria
and opens the door to accusations of 'gifts to the mates'... I'm not in any
way implying that this occurs (in fact I know it does not)... but its a
perception thing...

(from a users perspective with all respect and gratitude)

Cheers, Don