Re: [Computerbank] A Linux Question

Don,

I understand you turned to us as a known source of Linux expertise, and
thats very flattering:) Its also extremely encouraging that you are
contemplating a Linux rollout - I can only see advantages in that!

However, I don't think this group may be quite the information forum you
require. Can I suggest contacting your closest Linux user group, as they
are exactly the type of assistance and advice source you require? I know
our LinuxSA group has certainly been involved in advice and assistance
in such areas...

Please visit the Linux.org.au listing for NSW:
http://linux.org.au/cgi-bin/usergroups.cgi?nsw

Good luck with your endeavours!

Romana:)

Don Cameron wrote:

> Hi Computerbankers,
>
> Please pardon an off-topic question, but acknowledging the expertise on this
> list I'm hoping to receive some feedback on a proposed Linux implementation
> strategy.
>
> For a quick background, I am currently employed as the IT Manager for a NSW
> County Council, who, like most Govt. entities, rely on Windoze based
> administrative systems (even though all of our automation systems are
> Unix-based).
>
> My intent is to gradually implement a Linux-based admin system and possibly
> port some of Unix apps to Linux, however rather than follow the traditional
> changeover model of establishing one or two Linux servers attached to a host
> of existing Win Clients, I intend (or at least am thinking of) reversing the
> model and keeping a few Win Servers however replacing all the workstations
> with Linux (radical? - maybe, I'm actually not aware of anyone else doing
> this in a Govt. installation).
>
> The methodology is as follows - Traditional Linux desk-top roll-outs have
> not been particularly successful for a range of reasons... training,
> acceptance, culture, competitive suppliers, maintaining the 'status quo'
> etc. plus the pure economic arguments don't always carry a lot of weight
> with Government. Also, the 'if it aint broke don't fix-it mindset' is
> justified in the eyes of executive managers who understand only too well the
> hidden costs involved in any major systems reconstruction.
>
> So... rather than having to deal with all the cultural and training issues
> et-all, my strategy is to give our users exactly what they have been used to
> for years... a Windows desk-top with all the familiar icons and programs,
> however running on Linux workstations. If the concept works they really
> won't even know they are running something 'different' (unless they actually
> read the boot screens) until we start expanding the roll-out to include
> native Linux apps within the administrative 'mix'... and of course by using
> Linux we will also finally start to get some value out of high-level
> interactions with other existing Unix infrastructure.
>
> The plan, validated on a few Linux workstations over the past few weeks, is
> to load the boxes with the Linux ICA (Citrix Metaframe) client and configure
> each workstation to auto run the client at log-on thereby providing the
> exact same NT desktop our staff now use... complete with printer shares,
> file locations (albeit probably writing to a Linux / Samba box), and
> everything else they are familiar with... except the whole thing, with the
> exception of the Metaframe servers, will be running under Linux.
>
> Obviously we would still need our NT Terminal Servers, however this proposal
> would negate the need for further Win workstations, and the strategy would
> include replacing the NT / Metaframe boxes with Linux when thin-client
> networking for this platform does become a viable reality.

> [...]

romana@timelady.com
icq no:393293

Computerbank Australia -  SA branch member
http://www.linunix.com/cbsa/

"All that is necessary for the triumph of
evil is that good men do nothing."
(Edmund Burke)