Re: [Computerbank] Suggestions for one step beyond.....

Hi All

hope you're well:)))) Rom

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 06:50 pm, Romana Challans wrote:
> OK, I opened my big mouth on healing, lets look at some practical
> solutions:
>
> COMMITTEE COMMUNICATIONS:
> Reminder email to all CAI, to reacquaint them with the web site, and gently
> reminding them where minutes live.
>
> Ensuring there is meeting calendar on cai page - amended as dates changed
>
> Emailed reminders that meeting has occured, check <url> for minutes etc
> (this could be templated, and even automated via scripting to occur a week
> after meeting.
>
> All coordinators to ensure their reports are available online, and url
> posted to cai in advance - say two days before scheduled meeting
>
> Agenda online two days before meeting - hence all submissions to be
> received efore then - perhaps we need a scripty thing to do this, to reduce
> the workload on our volunteer-only and heavily overworked secretary?
> Perhaps rotating responsibility through committee?
>Sometimes it all comes around too quickly
> GENERAL COMMITTEE STUFF:
> Clear definitions of expected tasks for each role of Secretary, President,
> etc. We expect a great deal from those in somewhat tenuously defined roles,
> and from unpaid volunteers! Perhaps definition would ease unrealistic
> expectations, and provide those elected with clear understanding of
> expectations and tasks.

There have always been these definitions just ask the Policy coordinator.

> Don's suggestion of Candidacy Statements should definitely be looked at,
> for adoption into constitution if possible. Excellent idea - especially
> given the distribution over states of candidates!

this would be great. I personally would prefer an out of town President.

> Actually, lets look at Constitution. Goddess knows, we need it!

Actually the Constitution is fine Rom we just need to stick to it.

> Clearer voting procedures.
That was close to time but I think your solution was more than adequate and
easy to use.

 Secure online voting in advance possible?
> Passwords issued in advance for those unable to attend to cast their vote
> before day? (Computer generated and scripted for impartiality, of course!)
>
> Rules for meeting procedures, and expected/acceptable behaviours for
> meetings. (Yes, i'm in desperate need there, arent i peeps?;)

Remember we have guidlines for conduct during the online meetings again peeps
just have to stick to them. :) and stay on topic.

> COMMUNICATION:
> Suggestion box - electronic would be good, anonymous if possible...
>
> Developing mechanisms to handle disputes and tensions - so everyone has an
> equal voice. Some sort of gripes forum, with resolution the expected
> outcome.
>
> Procdures for lodging formal grievances, and for handling same.
Again check with the Policy co ord and you'll find them it's also in the
constitution

> OTHER:
> Define state structures adequately, and the processes within them, so all
> feel included and informed of process(es). (The current situation of ill
> defined consenus leads to much confusion and difficulty imho!)
>

> What can we automate in these suggestions? What can we spread to other
> people, not just committee? What can other people contribute? Don and I
> have started the ball rolling - lets see what the rest of you gifted
> creative types can do!

I think one of the biggest thing is that we need to make sure we all do our
own jobs and to remember that we survive as a team and that noone in this
organisation is indespensible.

I know that I often get snowed under but people should realise that I and all
on the committee are vols, some of us even have lives outside CAI, and we are
doing our best.

Pen