Re: [Computerbank] Recent Events

Hi Pen,

> It's disappointing to see both the public and Private accusations flying
> around.

I hope you don't mind if I comment on this. I think it's important that
people understand that my comments aren't directed at anyone personally;
they're directed to all the members, including office-bearers, because of
what I see as real shortcomings in the organisation. I don't think that it's
appropriate to be disappointed if there's some constructive criticism; I
think we all know that the organisation needs some work when there are core
(and founding) members who don't feel welcome or valued any longer, and when
core principles and policies seem to be being ignored.

> Don't you think it's time we grew up both as people and an organisation?

This is not a comment I find acceptable, if it is meant to apply to me - and
if it isn't meant to apply to me, there really isn't any way for me to tell.
So I hope not to read too many more like it. I'm not impressed at the thought
that anyone might think that it's appropriate to tell me to grow up as a
response to what I see as a genuine set of issues and worries about the
organisation; I hope that's not how it was meant, and I'd feel better all
over if it hadn't been said.

> Like some of you I to was not happy about the way the election was
> conducted but I don't think it should bring about the downfall of CAI.

At this stage, I think people are working hard to resolve what we see as a
set of real problems. I don't see that as bringing about the downfall of CAI;
I think that at least some of us are trying to *prevent* that very downfall.

> What we do is greater than all of our petty squabblings. Is it any wonder
> that there is a perception that CAI, especially Victoria, is a hot bed of
> Machiavellian politics? ( Please check recent minutes as this was an Agenda
> item )

I do realise that this mail is a vent, Pen; but I'm again, not impressed by
having real concerns dismissed as petty squabblings. There might have been
the appearance of squabblings, but many of these are the protests of people
who are having real trouble getting a hearing for their concerns; it's not
fair to dismiss those concerns.

> Lets get over it now and move on to the future.

I won't be getting over anything until I see some work for change, Pen. I
might go silent, but that would only be because I'd given up, and moved away.

> Are we going to stagnate or blossom? Ditch all the posturing and
> personalities and get on with working as a team.
>
> My biggest disappointment was that more members didn't vote ( although it
> was more than last year) I personally was hoping for an Interstate
> President ( and yes i would have happily not voted for Grant ) as I feel
> that we are too Vic-centric and need to be more Nationally focused.

I voted. I still feel that it would make quite a lot of sense if our elected
national committee of management - all of them (and I am not ignoring you,
Romana! but my understanding is that State Co-ords are delegates, sent by
their states, not National Committee electees) - were to show a little
leadership; not in dismissing the concerns of members out of hand, but in
finding ways to return to the inclusive, people-valuing way of running things
that was such a strong part of Computerbank's ethic.

Apart from anything else, it would attract *lots* more volunteers.

So: where are you, Committee?

> Lets get off our bums and make this org LARGE.
>
> lots of love from me and this is my spleen being vented.
>
> Hopefully i won't need to vent again:))))))

Criticism can be tough; but it's not so tough if we don't equate it with
blame, or personal criticism. To criticise the running of the organisation is
to say: there's a problem. Can we try to fix it? In fact, there's a set of
problems. It's not to say: person X or Y is an a$$hole; it's to say Oi! this
is being missed!

If we get a sense that the committee as a group is listening, then it might
be easier to state the problems calmly, without getting frustrated, upset and
hurt that our input seems to be falling into a black hole; and then it
mightn't feel quite so much to the committee-members that they're in the gun.
This is a 2-way street, ne? And if we don't treat each other well, how long
before we start in on our service recipients???

Cheers!

--
Trish Fraser, Sunbury, Australia
trish@thefrasers.org