Re: [Computerbank] [Fwd: [cai-vic] Policy stick is out]

On Thu, 28 Nov 2002 11:20 pm, Rob J shared:
> Im not not a financial member so please ignore me if you wish, but as an
> interested reader of these emails, why do I detect the feeling that
> everything done by the Victorian group is wrong?

i reckon all in cai shld get an equal say my friend  - but i naturally
encourage membership;))))
my goodness, if you got that from my emails, im sorry! i'm trying, along with
others on the committee, like kylie and cromwell, to sort out whats needed on
a National basis vs State basis - to ensure consistency, and to communicate
ideas.
we are doing so on this list to allow input from everyone!:)
we are trying to rigorously go through and address many holes and issues
raised lately - please, feel free to assist!!!

> Why do the other branches feel so threatened by the Victorians?

lol, thats actually kinda funny. some of my best friends are victorians!
we are a national body, not caivic or caisa etc, those are important entities,
but part of the national outlook:) vic is the biggest branch, but no more or
less valid than qld or sa:)))) equal in aims and mechanisms, but different in
size and progression, and its good to see that reflected in the new committee
team:)

> And for an organisation that professes to to dedicated to the the openness
> of open source you all seem so insular and bigoted.

again, apologies if it appears that way. i have pointed out that  kylie and i
were discussing national stuff, and the vic vol manual, while understandably,
and indeed necessarily so, is vic centric - thus what of it can we use
nationally and what should be state based?

as for insular, we are all striving for cai, so i am puzzled by your take on
this?

> All I can say if forget all this carrying on and try to remember why you
> joined CAI in the first place.  Was it:
> (1) to control an organisation?
> (2) to spread the gospel of linux
> (3) or was it maybe to help people?
> why do I get the feeling that for most of you the order is (1), (2),
> (3)????

that i cant answer for you, only you can answer why you feel something!!

however, i'll respond to yr points -
well, i couldnt in all conscience deal with microsoft crud fr recipients, and
truly believe not that linux is a viable alternative, rather viable solution.
and lol jennifairy, shaun and i were, technically speaking, INVITED to join
cai as the new sa branch, to continue the work we'd been doing quite
independently of vic:)

however, why do i spend an obscene amount of time doing hours and hours of
unpaid work, writing endless emails to try and sort messes out, encourage
people, and stop sniping/politics/neepage and other crud so we can move
forward, AND be coord for sa, AND holder of the arcane build knowledge, AND
be the trainer currently for sa, etc etc etc....

for the sheer thrill of the griping politics and crap we've all seen so
far???!!!
sorry, masochism ISNT my strong point. as a matter of fact, im attempting
destressing atm due to my pregnancy...:)

why then?

same reason we all do - or should be doing it for -
BECAUSE I BELIEVE IN CAI:)
because recipients need puters, and puters need recycling
becaude the world needs people to give a damn....
that kind of thing:)

i can only ask and encourage you in this :  before questioning anyone's
commitment, please, as i have done, try a leap of faith and believe in
EVERYONES intentions - and then try getting involved, helping out with these
thorny national issues:)))

after all, cai is bigger than any individual - if i left tomorrow, or kylie,
or any one of us, cai would, and RIGHTLY SO, continue and thrive.
and while we may be coming from many directions, we all surely care more for
cai than for the other stuff?:)

hth,
r:)
??????????????????????????????????????????????????
Romana Challans
GPG Key fingerprint =
F09E F80E 5DCA 9476 7753  9423 2CC7 81E8 4F07 1AD2

State Coordinator
Computerbank Australia Incorporated, SA Branch
http://sa.computerbank.org.au/

"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the
continent, a part of the main."
(Meditation 17, John Donne)