[Computerbank] RE: [cb-private] Computerbank statement of purpose (fwd)

Hi all!

I have a bit of an issue with this as well:

> The Moose(tm) wrote on Monday, 1 October 2001 18:28

<some text deleted>

> 2. To promote computer literacy by providing recycled, donated
> computers; installed with  appropriate non-commercial software; to
> eligible low income earners and community groups thereby,
> potentially, alleviating poverty through education.

from http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DoesTheGPLAllowMoney

Q. Does the GPL allow me to sell copies of the program for money?

A. Yes, the GPL allows everyone to do this. The right to sell copies is part
of the definition of free software.

Hmmmn,

I'd also be careful with this one - I've thrown in my two cents before I
know, but the use of "non-commercial" will invalidate using a great deal of
*commercial* software licensed under the GPL (Ximian gnome, KDE, QT
libraries, egcs, etc)

The blocking of "commercial" software is probably suicidal - I know that is
probably not the intention of the framers in using this wording - but the
wording needs to be changed.

Additionally, I support David Buddrige in his view that CB should remain
"technologically neutral" - I know some people (including myself) feel
strongly about only installing Software Libre on CB computers, but I think
the *constitution* should remain neutral on this one.

Cheers

Tim Price
South Melbourne
Victoria
CAUTION

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are privileged and confidential information intended for the use of the addressee. The confidentiality and/or privilege in this e-mail is not waived, lost or destroyed if it has been transmitted to you in error. If you have received this e-mail in error you must (a) not disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance on it; (b) please notify Australia Post immediately by return e-mail to the sender; and (c) please delete the original e-mail.