Re: Basic strategies for winning almost every map

On Friday 01 April 2005 05:19 am, Jonathan Koren wrote:
> > Right know, subs are just strong ships with nice
> > long-range torpedoes. IMO that justifies their use even without
> > stealth capabilities, but if there's considerable disagreement I'm
> > willing to reconsider.
>
> They seem kind of redundant given torpedo boats have long range
> capabilities.  The fact that a subs imply stealth, but the subs don't
> actually have stealth.  It wouldn't be an issue if they were a surface
> ship, say a cruiser, but as it is, they seeem kind of crippled, or as I
> said, redundant.

I hate to throw in reality, but the submarine was originally designed for
stealth.  It's basic mission was to sneak up close to a ship, fire a single
torpedo to sink it, and run away, *without detection*.  The deck gun was
given to it as a purely defensive weapon.  And during the cold war,
submarines were equipped with nukes so that if all the missile silos were
known by the bad guy, they still had numerous "missile silos" that were not
only unknown, but moveable.  So the sub's stealth mission made it an ideal
platform to carry planetkiller missiles.

If you ignore the basic purpose of the development of the submarine, then the
piece rapidly loses its usefulness.  :)

<insert some crack about German U-boats sinking civilian ships, because, of
course, the lead developer around here is German ;) >

Oh yeah, the other good use of a submarine is to go upstream on an island
somewhere in the south pacific/antarctic where all compasses stop working and
you find weird evolutionary patterns and real live dinosaurs!  (ER Burroughs
wrote some awesome stuff)

Dave

--
Sigmund's wife wore Freudian slips.