Re: submarines (was: Re: Stealth)

On Tuesday 12 April 2005 01:02 pm, Jonathan Koren wrote:
> I REALLY don't like that.  It relegates submarine's stealth to basically
> being Wonder Woman's invisible jet.  ("Is there anything on the radar?"
> "Nothing to worry about sir.  Just a woman in a siting position at 20,000
> feet moving in a mach 2.")
>
> > but if you try to pass through it, then the sub immediately becomes
> > active and you *must* fire on it.  Neither player gets the choice.
>
> But the surface ship player does have a choice.  He sees the big gaping
> submarine shaped hole on his scope (because he hasn't actaully detected
> the sub now), and then he makes the decision to move through the hole,
> knowing full well that when he the hole will immediately be filled with a
> submarine and he'll have to shoot it.

Aha, but the point is that they don't see the sub on radar.  Now, we're not
getting all anal and dealing with the depth of the sub, we're just assuming
that a sub underwater is undetectable unless you're right on top of it.  The
reason the surface player doesn't have a choice is because he *doesn't* see
the sub.  So the sub attacks.  The reason the sub player doesn't have a
choice is an arbitrary imposition of game balance, since we're not actually
trying to build a real war simulator here.

Now we should ask ourselves more about the technological sophistication of the
combatants.  Personally, I don't really see any reason the Kandelians would
be using sea units in the first place.  Seems like they should be using
orbit-to-surface fighters.  Land units are still needed to take cities and so
forth, and when you get right down to it, it's cheaper to fight a war from
land than from orbit.  But an orbit-to-surface fighter should be able to
operate as a typical aircraft, only with a *lot* more fuel (it has to go into
orbit).  Of course we also haven't talked much about the Kandelian space
navy.

The only reason I see the FNA as fielding submarines is because they haven't
even gone orbital yet (so no satellites for them, but Kand could have
plenty).  So the FNA are fighting from what is essentially 20th Century naval
doctrine using a navy that was constructed with 25th century technology (the
Nexians have recovered that much technology minus spaceflight), so submarines
are perfectly in line with FNA's available weapons.

But I still see 99% or more of Kandelian shipping being handled with orbital
shipping, ships launched from a spaceport into orbit and then back down to
their destination.  Maybe they'll use rail over land.  Light shipping
wouldn't happen through orbit, but would happen on the surface.  Light
shipping wouldn't happen at all in the sea.  What's left of Kandelian heavy
shipping that has to go over large bodies of water should still go on the
orbital ships, they just don't actually go orbital on that flight.

So what's left for the FNA submarines to attack?  Now, we're not just talking
about submarine mission anymore, we're talking about generic targets that
justify the FNA going through the trouble and expense to produce the damn
things.

If they could hit land targets, emplacements, and/or occupy a city, that would
justify their existence to the FNA.  That means carrying strategic weapons
that can hit land targets, such as larger missiles (not necessarily nukes).

Another thing that would justify the existence of submarines is when you
consider that Kandelian satellites can't see underwater, but they can see
ships on the water.  So the FNA would use submarines for their overseas
shipping, since otherwise their overseas shipping would be exposed to orbital
sensors.

Now then, :) Kand has a typical sea-based navy because that's how the game has
been put together so far.  Personally, I think that should be removed in
favor of an orbital approach.  An empire as large as Kand has the resources
to attack from orbit, rendering our 21st century conceptions of how expensive
orbital flights are as outdated and primitive in comparison.  So they not
only have the resources to make the attack, they also have the necessary
military doctrine to make the attack.  In the long run, in order to win the
war, (please no Battlefield: Earth flashbacks right now) FNA is going to have
to go orbital to fight.  So they need to have a few missions where they take
spaceports and important spaceship production facilities.  If FNA doesn't go
orbital, then Kand can just throw rocks at 'em until there's nothing left of
Nexian society besides a few cannibals throwing stones in the air.  Until FNA
goes orbital, they're operating with their existing military technology,
which should consist of long-range missiles (not necessarily ICBMs, the
storyline has the other continent of the planet shrouded in secrecy until I
write that part), missile defense emplacements around cities and other
potential targets, airships (which we have), regular navy, and regular army.
Maybe some mechanized infantry (Starship Troopers?).  Oh yeah, lasers, plasma
cannons, etc.  Typical Dave Weber weapons, in fact.

Kand, on the other hand, should be putting Kandelian infantry in the fancy
suits while the conscripted and allied Nexians will resemble typical Nexian
infantry.  They should have missiles, and the whole range of Dave Weber
weapons (plasma cannons, rail guns, etc), and also a variety of kinetic
weapons in their orbital stations.  Since Kand uses so much local talent to
fight this war (I'm wagering that we only see real aliens on the map in a few
places on all existing scenarios, with troops on both sides being native
Nexian), then it stands to reason that they use a lot of local technology.

So the question I'm asking, then, is does Kand have a regular sea-based navy
on Nexus?  If so, why?  Justify a Kandelian navy.

Now, early in the game, I can easily justify a Kandelian navy.  Kand wants to
use local talent and resources to put down the revolt: it's cheaper that way.
Later on, though, Kand needs to start pulling out the big guns and bringing
down the orbital fighters, even bombing from orbit, possibly putting the
entire planet under seige again.

Dave

--
Oreo.