Re: submarines

On 12.04.2005 22:29, Dave Fancella wrote:
> Now then, :) Kand has a typical sea-based navy because that's how the game has
> been put together so far.  Personally, I think that should be removed in
> favor of an orbital approach.  An empire as large as Kand has the resources
> to attack from orbit, rendering our 21st century conceptions of how expensive
> orbital flights are as outdated and primitive in comparison.  So they not
> only have the resources to make the attack, they also have the necessary
> military doctrine to make the attack.  In the long run, in order to win the
> war, (please no Battlefield: Earth flashbacks right now) FNA is going to have
> to go orbital to fight.  So they need to have a few missions where they take
> spaceports and important spaceship production facilities.  If FNA doesn't go
> orbital, then Kand can just throw rocks at 'em until there's nothing left of
> Nexian society besides a few cannibals throwing stones in the air.  Until FNA
> goes orbital, they're operating with their existing military technology,
> which should consist of long-range missiles (not necessarily ICBMs, the
> storyline has the other continent of the planet shrouded in secrecy until I
> write that part), missile defense emplacements around cities and other
> potential targets, airships (which we have), regular navy, and regular army.
> Maybe some mechanized infantry (Starship Troopers?).  Oh yeah, lasers, plasma
> cannons, etc.  Typical Dave Weber weapons, in fact.

Does all this make any difference gameplay-wise? Orbital cannons/fighters
would basically be aircraft which most units can't attack (because they are
flying to high). That's ok as far as I'm concerned but I think removing
the navy in favour of these is going to make the game less interesting.
Ships simply have different value and uses to a player than "just another
type of aircraft". I agree that mission designers should probably not
outfit Kand with large navies but I don't see what orbital buys us.