Re: My first map "Clean sweep"

On 11.08.2004 10:02, Marcus Schreiner wrote:
> Just when I thought the mission was over the
> commando I had sent to take the headquarters through the back
> door was surrounded by heaps of enemy reinforcements! Rah! Fall
> back! Great!

I am happy to hear that the reinforcements arrived just in time to stop a
sneak attack from the northwest. I was not sure about the turn-number the
reinforcements should arrive. So this works well!
It might be possible to get there one or two turns earlier, but I
don't think that's likely if you don't know that you have to hurry.

> * You have a city image beneath every Bunkers unit. What's that
>   supposed to do there?

I do not understand that. Which city images?
Destroy some bunkers. There is a fake shop underneath each of them.

> * There's no briefing for Player 2. (But maybe that's just because
>   you first wanted to make sure the story is acceptable?)

No I considered this to be a campaign map and I thought you are only allowed
to play it as player 1.
In the course of a campaign, yes. But campaign maps can be played
just like single maps as well. The main difference is that in skirmish
play you won't get to the next map if you win. (And you need to reach
a map in campaign mode before being allowed to play it in skirmish.)

> * There's no support for difficulty levels yet. Possible changes
>   from my point of view:
> [...]

I'll try that. But does that mean that you won the map? I thought it is too
hard....
What gave you that idea? No, I actually think you hit the balance
pretty well. It's not execeptionally hard but it's not too easy,
either.

> * You made the reinforcement message event (12) depend on one
>   of the create unit events (0). That's not necessary as there
>   is nothing to prevent event 0 from triggering. The dependency
>   doesn't hurt either, though.

I was not familiar with the events ant the tutorial didn't help me there. I
thought dependency means that the message pops up when event (0) occurs.
Close, but no cigar. Quoting from the cfed manual: "This
makes the current event depend on the given event. Prior to
event execution, the trigger conditions for both events are
checked, and the event is activated only if both are
successful."

You can think of it as a logical AND for the dependent event.
In this case it would read: "trigger event 12 IF trigger(0)
AND trigger(12)", or "trigger event 12 IF turn is 10 AND turn
is 10" because the trigger conditions are the same for both
events. And as there is no way to delay a TURN trigger (unless
event 0 depends on some other event itself) both events will
execute at the same time, anyway. But as I said the dependency
neither helps nor harms in this case because the conditions
will always be true at the same time.

> * The forest graphics are jumbled for the western forest.

Even with a magnifying glass I was not able to identify which tiles
represent which part of a forest. I think there is no map tile that can be
used as a southern border of a forest.
You used them correctly for the eastern forest... but you
scrapped that as well for the updated version. Admittedly they
are a bit hard to tell apart. The first two forests are
single-hex forests. The next four comprise one big forest in
the order w, n, s, e.

> Due to its small size the map is probably best suited for the first
> stage of the campaign when pretty much everything is still Imperial
> territory (not too early, however. The Imperial units have apparently
> had some clashes already, and the map also is a little too demanding
> for "testing the waters", I think). So it would certainly fit in that
> respect. What is not so nice is that we already have a map where
> crossing a river and getting a foothold on the other side is the main
> purpose (Omyar Gorge). Therefore I'd prefer it if you could come up
> with another reason for attacking the Empire here. Due to the story
> not yet being fleshed out you have pretty much freedom to introduce
> even major events which pave the road for several maps after (or
> before). If not, well, we'll find a way to make it fit anyhow. I'd
> certainly like to have the map in the campaign.

How about capturing a highly ranked Commander of the Empire in the HQ? Or
some military knowledge for a special unit?
We don't really have any special units, so we'd create sort of a
credibility problem, but capturing an Imperial commander would
work, I guess.

Jens