Re: A new Uprising

On 16.08.2004 10:24, Dave Fancella wrote:
On Monday 16 August 2004 04:20 am, Marcus Schreiner wrote:
> Can a galaxy be divided into north, east, south and west? In Star Trek (is
> this my only knowledge source?) they divide it into sectors alpha, beta,
> gamma and delta.

Certainly. It's a spiral galaxy, so it's mostly a disc shape with a big round hub in the center. So there's N, S, E, and W, no problem. The only real trick is figuring out which way is North.
While there is nothing wrong with having four directions on a disc, I imagine
that using N, S, E, W would probably result in a mess. Once you get out into
space and the poles are gone those directions are pretty meaningless. And they
mean something different on each planet to begin with.

So, yeah, I'm sure there are better alternatives measuring the universe.
Any favourites apart from the Star Trek approach?

Jens