Re: Nikola's map

On 16.12.2006 17:46, Dave Fancella wrote:
> I, too, dug into the archives, and found this:
> http://archives.seul.org/crimson/users/Aug-2004/msg00086.html
>
> :)  It's the campaign story and the ascii map of the province.

From that mail:

>       ____________________________________________
>      /                                            \
>     /                        * Mines               \
>     |    M                     0  Ultha             |
>      \    o                                         |
>       |    u  Renus       Sarot Plains              |
>       /    n /                                      /
>      /    t /       * Kand HQ                      /
>     /    a *            x Enolian Air Fields      /
>    /     i                                       /
>   /       n * Support Base      0 Lula          /
>  |         s  * Area 51                        /
>   \                                           /
>    \               *       0 Rhintura        /
>     \___________Ambush______________________/

Hm, I think I missed that when I decided to finally continue with the
campaign (should have been in the wiki!). With the parts we already
have now (and everything else but Ultha removed for clarity),
it should look more like this:

      /                                            \
     /                        * Mines               \
     |    M                     0  Ultha             |
      \    o                                         |
       |    u          * Kand HQ                     |
       /    n                                        /
      /    t                    * Lula              /
     /    a * Lake Yukarwa/other                   /
    /     i                 Sarot Plains          /
   /       n                                     /
  |         s  * Mhran airfields                /
   \                   * Plowshares            /
    \                       0 Rhintura        /
     \_______________________________________/

Or maybe have Lake Yukarwa west of the mountains? That would leave open
the campaign opportunity Dave mentions below.

> How the
> province is laid out on the continent is what Jens linked, and isn't set in
> stone.

Right.

> Anyway, it could still be landlocked and have this particular scenario fit,
> and might even lead into the next campaign nicely.  Consider the case where
> the main river that feeds the province comes into this map and forms the one
> or two lakes I've seen discussed (I really need to fire up comet and look at
> it, heh).  Then the river leaves after being fed by several tributaries,
> possibly from other provinces, and runs through another province or 3 before
> emptying into the ocean.  The next campaign could be "Well, we got Yalwa, now
> we want to advance quickly down the river to take the lush farmlands in
> <province name> and get to the ocean."  That opens up several campaigns,
> including a naval campaign after FNA has a good port.  In fact, the economy
> looks pretty obvious in that setup.  Yalwa mines crystals and metals and
> ships them down the river where they're manufactured into ships.

Jens