FNA campaign story (was: Level "ThreeMountain"(maybe))

On 25.07.2004 16:07, FlashFashion wrote:
for those who is interested in this new level.
Unfortunately, it's not yet playable and crashes due to the
missing shop names...

Storywise, I'd like to take this opportunity to roughly outline
my thoughts about the still-to-come main campaign and encourage
all mappers to weave their creations into the main plot. While
we're at it it'd also be great if people with writing skills
and/or a vivid imagination could flesh out the campaign story so
that the mappers could actually concentrate on the maps. From my
own experience I'd say this could spur productivity...

I intend the campaign (I'll use the working title FNA campaign)
to only have a regional scope. It begins with the start of the
rebellion in the province of Yalmar (or maybe a minor neighbour)
which may be part of the former Republic of Kerlo or some as yet
unnamed state to the west of it, and ends with the fall of Ultha,
the regional capital. This also means the FNA is "degraded" to a
regional movement instead of a global one. There are other rebel
groups on the planet, and some may ally during the course of
events as all (or rather most) of them have a superiour common
enemy, but very few of the factions actually have the same goals.
This should not be surprising if you take the political situation
just before the arrival of Kand into account.

So, what we have is basically three waypoints. The first map
will be an improved and overhauled Uprising, with a few slight
adjustments to the story, and of course suitable for solo play.
The last mission will be the assault on Ultha. I'm not sure
what it'll look like, though. And somewhere in between (where
exactly is hard to tell without the missing maps ;-) will be
the crossing of the Sarph river. That's OmyarGorge, of course,
which should fit seamlessly. That map also contains a little
bit of additional information, mainly geographical. It means,
for example, that in most maps, the FNA will move from bottom
to top (or South to North).

The first few maps will be small and only feature a very limited
selection of unit types for several reasons. One is to acquaint
new players with the game (it's not intended as a tutorial,
though!), and it also fits the story better. The FNA is still
small and weak, and the Empire might not be taking them for the
threat they are.

Maps will get bigger, meaner, and more diverse as the campaign
progresses. That's about all there is right now.

All the holes in between still need to be filled. We need all
the epic stuff (you know, meeting new friends, betrayal, false
prophets, villains, heroes, and a towel. Um).

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Jens