Re: More Soundtrack

On 07.03.2004 22:47, Dave Fancella wrote:
> On Sunday 07 March 2004 02:25 pm, Jens Granseuer wrote:
> > I don't really want to include the sample set in the core package, for the
> > same reason we don't distribute SDL_mixer, either.

[...]

> In that case, the only real problem here is making sure that the provided
> SDL_mixer on the user's machine can actually play the sample set.  SDL_mixer,
> for midi files, assumed the sample set is at /usr/local/lib/timidity, so
> we'll need to look for that in the ./configure.  Then we also need to look
> for /usr/lib/timidity and /usr/share/timidity.  If /usr/local/lib/timidity
> isn't there, but either /usr/lib/timidity or /usr/share/timidity is, then we
> need to ln -s to it.  And we also need to allow the user, during
> configuration, to specify where his timidity directory is, if he has one and
> it's not in one of those three places already, so we can link to it from
> /usr/local/lib, so SDL_mixer will find it. (It would be really nice if
> someone dug into SDL_mixer and fixed that)

I disagree. This is purely an SDL_mixer issue. Yes, it would be nice if
someone fixed SDL_mixer to accept different locations, but if we work
around this we'll need to fix crimson when SDL_mixer finally gets fixed!
That's not a good idea.

Let's just say "You need SDL_mixer with midi support" and be done with it.

> The real question is "Are the midi instruments good enough?".
> If the answer is "yes" then I figure we should just use midi for the core
> distribution.  How you define "good enough" is completely up to you.  :)  I'm
> satisfied with them so far, but I wouldn't try to pass off something that
> uses only those samples as some fancy composition, but for a game soundtrack
> I'm quite pleased with the set.

At this time I'd vote for midi. It seems pretty ok, it doesn't rule out
an enhanced ogg set, it's small, go for it.

> And I'd like to make an enhanced version,
> and do something even better with the setup I described elsewhere, and
> finally compile them all to a CD people can order from my website, along with
> some good rock'n'roll anthems about Crimson Fields.  :)  (Obviously a long
> term plan)

Think you can make it into the charts?

Jens