Re: campaign proposal

Doh. Due to all the traffic on the list lately I missed the initial posting...

Great idea, anyway!

On 09.03.2004 14:37, Patrick Forhan wrote:
> Quoting "Morton, Sean" <smorton@deerfield.edu>:
> > The current missions could be pretty easily put into a coherent seccession of
> > missions, but that can be later...
> >
> > Anywho, I regret to say that I haven't looked into the map system, but if no
> > one has any objections, I would happily construct these maps, and any others
> > afterward if the campaign system were to be implemented.
>
> I think you have some great ideas here.  As for additions, I'd recommend sea
> units and carriers (like a small IslandHoppers), railroads (are those
> working?), terrain bonuses and penalties (movement and combat).

I definitely second the terrain modifiers.
Yes, railroads are working (see BeachRaid or Revelation for examples), but I
don't think there's enough to be learned to turn them into a tutorial.

> For some of the scenarios you mentioned, a quick question is whether these have
> to be fun two player maps, or if it is OK for the maps to be easy for one side,
> just to prove a point.  For example the artillary tutorial could be one
> artillary on one island, and light tanks on another -- no hope for the tank to
> win, but it would still prove a point for the player.

Tutorial should be single-player only, IMO, but your example scenario seems a
tad too simplistic. It should still be possible to lose (albeit very difficult
if you follow the lead), otherwise the point you are trying to make could
easily be missed.

> I, too, have little experience with the map maker.  I just ended up confused
> last time I tried, but perhaps if I started on something small and focused I
> could get the thing done.
>
> Some questions:
>  - What is the right size for these? Comet's minimum is 20x20.  Should this be
> smaller, or is that about right?

Those numbers can be changed if we need smaller maps. In fact, with a little
bit of cfed knowledge it's easy to trick CoMET into taking smaller maps even
now. Some of those in the distribution are smaller than 20x20.

> I was kind of thinking of maps I wouldn't
> have to scroll on my Zaurus...

2x2 doesn't leave much space for tactics... ;-)

>  - Can units start out weakened?
>  - Can units start out with higher ranks?

Yes they can (if you use today's CVS snapshot ;-)
As I said before, if you need new features for a map I'll try to add them.

Jens