Re: Defense Initiative

On Friday 12 March 2004 09:28 pm, Jens Granseuer wrote:
> No, there isn't. How do you tell units which have been preparing for
> enemy attacks and dug in from units slacking in supposedly safe territory
> and getting ambushed unexpectedly by some fighters which sneaked through
> the front lines? Besides, I think it's not a good idea to punish offensive
> play.

Hmm, you don't?  I agree that punishing offensive play is bad, because I like
to be offensive.  But it's not punishing offensive play, it's rewarding
defensive play.  See, if you had your newspeak dictionary it would have been
more clear that this idea is doubleplusgood.

Seriously, I respectfully disagree to an extent.  The idea is that if you are
being attacked, you set up a line, prepare, build fortifications, and all
sorts of things, right?  So another way to implement this idea, anyway, is to
allow a unit, on its turn, to dig in.  Give it a fortify command just like in
Civilization, and the unit digs in defensively.  So for every turn he's dug
in, he gains some sort of bonus on his defensive rating, with a maximum, so
it could cumulate over two turns and then hit the ceiling.  Then, when he
attacks, any bonus he gained in defense is lost, because he's not dug in
anymore.  :)  How about that?

Oh yeah, don't read my signature this time.

Dave

--
Visit my website!
http://www.davefancella.com/?event=em

Do not read this fortune under penalty of law.
Violators will be prosecuted.
(Penal Code sec. 2.3.2 (II.a.))