Re: Defense Initiative

On 12.03.2004 17:27, Dave Fancella wrote:
> On Friday 12 March 2004 09:28 pm, Jens Granseuer wrote:
> > No, there isn't. How do you tell units which have been preparing for
> > enemy attacks and dug in from units slacking in supposedly safe territory
> > and getting ambushed unexpectedly by some fighters which sneaked through
> > the front lines? Besides, I think it's not a good idea to punish offensive
> > play.
>
> Hmm, you don't?  I agree that punishing offensive play is bad, because I like
> to be offensive.  But it's not punishing offensive play, it's rewarding
> defensive play.  See, if you had your newspeak dictionary it would have been
> more clear that this idea is doubleplusgood.
>
> Seriously, I respectfully disagree to an extent.  The idea is that if you are
> being attacked, you set up a line, prepare, build fortifications, and all
> sorts of things, right?  So another way to implement this idea, anyway, is to
> allow a unit, on its turn, to dig in.  Give it a fortify command just like in
> Civilization, and the unit digs in defensively.  So for every turn he's dug
> in, he gains some sort of bonus on his defensive rating, with a maximum, so
> it could cumulate over two turns and then hit the ceiling.  Then, when he
> attacks, any bonus he gained in defense is lost, because he's not dug in
> anymore.  :)  How about that?

Somehow I was expecting this. And I already have a counterargument. Didn't
you want to reduce micro-management? Adding a fortify command is useless if
there are no drawbacks as every player will want to execute it for every
unit he doesn't move.

So, there either has to be a catch, or we could just as well make it
automatic which I don't like.

Jens