Re: Defense Initiative

On Saturday 13 March 2004 05:27 pm, Jens Granseuer wrote:
> Somehow I was expecting this. And I already have a counterargument. Didn't
> you want to reduce micro-management? Adding a fortify command is useless if
> there are no drawbacks as every player will want to execute it for every
> unit he doesn't move.
>
> So, there either has to be a catch, or we could just as well make it
> automatic which I don't like.

Oh boy.  I'm not thinking up a suitable catch that makes sense.  I thought
"What about he can't move on his next turn?"  Then I found myself thinking
"No no no, it should be automatic."  So the way to make it automatic that I
came up with is very complicated and involves line of sight and stuff.  The
idea being that if a unit is just sitting there with his thumb up his, um,
well, anyway that if a unit gets ambushed, it's because he got an attack he
failed to anticipate, and he's fortifying because he anticipates an attack
and he spends a turn getting ready for it.  So to make it automatic, the game
has to reasonably figure out when a unit is doing nothing and can reasonably
expect an attack.

That's it.  Not much of a counterargument, is it?  ;)

Dave

--
Visit my website!
http://www.davefancella.com/?event=em

Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died.
		-- Erma Bombeck