Re: A patch

Some questions.
I intend to add some statistics at mission debriefing (like kills,
advancements etc.). Is this needed at all? If yes: it seems I can't
find which function exactly is used when a new game is started. What
is it? Another question: what will happen if a locale file misses some
messages? (And, by the way: why all datafiles (locales, tilesets,
unitsets etc.) are somehow compiled?)

Nice in general. What I'd really like would be something like grayscaling
the unit instead of just using a full white overlay. Or maybe shading it?
Not sure. Lighter probably looks better, but it's hard to say without
actually seeing it.

I guess I haven't spent enough time adjusting the constants for the effect. The unit image was supposed to become gradually lighter and lighter, then be almost only a silhouette for some time and then turn back to normal state. Probably increasing time of the effect and reducing alpha value of the white layer should work.

I'm wondering about the wait() function, though. What's the reason
you're not simply using SDL_Delay() there?

Perhaps it's an example of "code WTF" (: Quite tense time that I now have makes sometimes me overlook simple things... Just one question: do SDL_Delay() and SDL_GetTicks() use the same units of measurement?

> MinGW.diff - a line I needed to compile with MinGW (not sure whether
> this applies to everyone, but maybe this could be of any use)

Now this looks odd. Maybe there's some header where we could get that
define from instead of hardcoding it ourselves? I'd rather not start
duplicating the Windows system API...

I believe it is just some values which are for some reason not set by MinGW itself... Anyway, I don't insist on applying this patch. Only it might be helpful for someone some day, so let it be in the mailing list (:

> turn.diff - units turn in the direction of their attack

Not sure, either. It's a rather small thing, but it somehow feels odd
to me. Maybe it's just being used to units not turning, don't know.
Other opinions?

Right now it only affects graphical side of things, doesn't it? And for me it seemed odd that units manage to attack somebody behind their back (: