Re: Multi-hex units

On 21.10.2004 18:27, Marcus Schreiner wrote:
> I'd like to try without any special provisions first. The second hex
> simply
> follows the first and ends up where it ends up. I'm not sure that turning
> etc.
> is really necessary (and IIRC Battle Isle didn't allow it either). Simple
> is nice.

Okay, but then what do we net multi-hex units for?
Um, well... hrm. I'm not yet sure we need them ;-)

If you do not have
influence on the second hex field, it will be an obstacle in a battle.
So the big units will need a lot more firepower to balance this
disadvantage.
First of all, the big units will usually also be the powerful ones.
Candidates are Battleships, Aircraft Carriers, and maybe also the
Troopships. Then, leaving some corner cases aside, it's not like the
final position of the second hex is random. For most moves it will
be pretty clear where it will end up. And finally, being an obstacle
can work both ways.

Perhaps the strike distance of the unit be calculated from both fields?
If you mean that a unit with range 3 can shoot 3 hexes from either
hex, then yes, that's the plan.

Jens