Re: [f-cpu] Winograd DCT on my seul.org account

Juergen Goeritz wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Apr 2002, Martin Devera wrote:
>
> >> Hi, I agree with your comment that C is not a good
> >> language for large userspace projects. C was developed
> >> as a language to implement an operating system and I
> >> guess that's why you can also use it as a high level
> >> assembler. To my experience C++ did not improve that
> >> situation much but instead it enabled a developer to
> >> disguise the true program meaning by the possibility
> >> of redefinition of most of the constructs. In which
> >> case you end up with source code that is unmaintainable
> >> without the proper documentation. And by documentation
> >> I mean including the whole conceptual thoughts behind
> >> the program.
> >
> >Exactly. I can't find language which would be good for these
> >projects - I like Python put it can't be compiled eficiently
> >AFAIK.
> >Java is only hype-driven language with too many bugs in
> >implementations and also not compilable simply...
> >Have you some idea at which lang should one look ?
>
> Hmh, that's a very good question.
>
> What one would need is a language with a very good
> type checking like in Ada, Pascal, Modula a.s.o, a
> language that can do easy prototyping and reuse of
> coded parts like Forth, a language disallowing the
> side-effect programming styles, a language that can
> handle OO approaches and a language that is capable
> of parallel execution pathes.

I would add "Small" and "bootstrap-able". I never could under stand
object programing as once you have more than a few operations you never
know what the program will do.
--
Ben Franchuk - Dawn * 12/24 bit cpu *
www.jetnet.ab.ca/users/bfranchuk/index.html