Re: [f-cpu] F-CPU SoC

Hi Kim !

Le 2015-04-03 20:21, Kim Enkovaara a ÃcritÂ:
I would say that single core is niche market today except on IoT side
 where u/nW power consumption is needed.
There are still countless applications that work well with a single CPU core :-)

There are, but usually at very low end. I would love to get processors
that would be 2x faster than anything existing today, as FPGA
compilations for example easily take 10+h and do not parallelize that
well on some stages. And a server with hybrid memory cubes, that would
be something.... (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_Memory_Cube).
And HMC is not vaporware, there are products out there using it. DDR4
is the last of its line, there is no real way to increase the bus
speed with that parallel synchronous bus paradigm.

It's nice but what can Joe Hobbyist do right now, with which investment,
that remains fixable and hackable without hassles ?

Paralellism will appear when we'll have one core working.
Then we'll fill the FPGA with new instances :-P
At least the locking primitives and atomic operations need to be there
in the instruction set to make this possible. Just read rants of Linus
from linux-kernel list ;)
Locking is the basics... However since we can't even simulate or emulate
or write code or compile code, it's not possible to judge how well
parallelism-enabling code would would work.

We can't reasonably access all the resources needed to build an array...
unless you let us play with your toys, but then, nobody else would
be able to reuse our work, so what's the point ?
The point I was trying to make is the fabric, when it works well you
can build many things out from the cores.
Yup, but in the F-CPU case, the CPU core comes before the fabric ;-)

all competing with super high performance multicore SoCs... pretty hot ;)
and who's your favorite ?
Sorry, cannot tell, and most of the really hot ones are under NDA
still, I chose the list carefully ;)
It's not fair.

--Kim
YG