Re: [f-cpu] Register Bank

hi kim !

Kim Enkovaara wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, Michael Riepe wrote:
>
> > Didn't we want to include a POST (Power-On Self Test) anyway?  Since that
> > will have to test the registers (i.e. write into them and read back the
> > values), it can also initialize them.  I removed the Rst line now ;)
>
> One way to do the selftest is to plug logicBIST to the scan chains that
> already exists for manufacturing test vectors. There are some commercial
> tools at least to do this almost automatically. Those tools understand
> memories and can test small memories in the same test and leave the bigger
> ones for memBIST.

One (open) question : it will certainly be no problem for us to
include our own tests on the chip. i guess that we won't be able
to pay for the BIST tools, but we have no delivery constraints
and we can hack something for ourselves.

 However what will be the strategy ?
- include a ROM that will execute instructions at power-up
    -> cool but it takes some die area and it is not upgradable
- use the external BIOS (E(E))PROM for POST
    -> cheaper CPU and upgradable but might miss some HW access features

i have no idea at the moment.

> Mr. Kim Enkovaara   | kim.enkovaara@iki.fi |
WHYGEE