Re: [f-cpu] LSU or cache L0

On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 08:09:13PM +0100, Yann Guidon wrote:
> hi !
>
> Michael Riepe wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 01:56:00PM -0700, Ben Franchuk wrote:
> > > What is a Unix-style assembler?
> > It uses a similar syntax (all pseudo-ops begin with a dot, e.g. .org
> > or .fill), supports the usual segments (.text/.data/.bss) and so on.
> > Output files are in relocatable format. They can't be executed directly,
> > but are supposed to be linked/relocated with ld(1) first. It's pretty
> > much like GNU as, in case you know that (part of the binutils package
> > nowadays).
>
> in short : the kind of asm that is not easy to read or write
> and requires a handful of tools to make it work ;-)

Yes... and it's the kind of assembler we need to port Linux.

> i belong to the crowd of people who use(d) NASM and couldn't use anything
> else afterwards, because it's so much more practical and readable than
> (g)as or TASM/MASM. No loader, no linker, plain binary output
> that doesn't require extra handling when you want to test an execution
> unit in VHDL... (i don't imagine Michael willing to program an ELF
> loader in VHDL :-P). Instead of segments, files are included (either
> binary or source). And i have even "programmed" a EXE file header
> (look at the contributors in the NASM package).

I've been using several versions of masm, tasm, as86, gas, and nasm.
So what?

No I'm not going to write an ELF loader in VHDL.
I'll write a linker in C :)

> Maybe that, given the spec, it would be possible to write an ELF
> header in asm syntax. Given a few symbolic and labelling capabilities,
> such as what i have already programmed in ygasm, i don't see the problem
> (unless ELF requires more sophisticated computations than just label
> manipulations ?)

Nothing special. But it's a pretty big piece of work to build all the
ELF structures manually.