Re: [f-cpu] latest gcc & immediate addressing [Was: BOUNCE f-cpu@seul.org:...](fwd)

hi !

Michael Riepe wrote:

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 03:01:32AM +0100, Yann Guidon wrote:
[...]

As far as i remember, the ROP2 instructions follow the general rule :
the "size" field indicates the number of bits to write back.
That is : one can do a OR on one byte or word, and the rest will
be cleared.

Very good. Then I'll have to change my instruction encoder/decoder.
What about the `full-size' operation?

it's done with the SIMD flag.

Then comes the problem of the chunk size of the COMBINE mode,
it requires 2 more bits which are taken from the IMM mode
so only the register form is possible when combine is needed (IIRC).

Is it useful to separate operation and combine chunk sizes? I'd rather
use the standard scheme (size + SIMD flag).

what if you want to compare and combine 2 16-bit chunks in parallel ?

in the conference, i gave an example code that compares 4 bytes in parallel,
so there are only 32 useful bits.

[...]

ROP2 :
27-31 : Opcode
24-26 : function
22-23 : size flags (normal ones)
20-21 : Combine size flags (not used yet, only 00 is used for bytes)

This is new to me. When did you change it?

i guess it is quite old, maybe 16 months (when i was staying at Graham's place).
it can probably be traced by looking in old snapshots....

[...]

YG