Re: [f-cpu] more about f-romfs

whygee@club-internet.fr a écrit :

> hi,
>
> Cedric BAIL wrote :
> >I didn't agry with your vision of a bios that his really like a PC BIOS.
> i think you are a bit mistaken. What i want to do (others can still
> do their own thing) is a minimalistic "monitor" that provides some
> utlra-basic functions and then hands the rest of the device-specific
> management to other modules.

So it isn't a "boot code". It's a monitor that you want to use to debug
the fcpu.

> The "usual" romfs is a very simple protocol that is explained at
> http://www.linuxhq.com/kernel/v2.2/doc/filesystems/romfs.txt.html
> for example.  i want to do something silimar which can be easily
> programmed in asm and simulated in VHDL environment.
>
> >But first what are the possibility for a boot process actually :
> >       - Stupid BIOS, who is only doing the initialisation of the needed
> >peripheric and give the hand to the first code on the specified disk (it could
> >be a cdrom, or whatever you wan't, but local).
> There is a problem here : we don't have any HW, I/O or any protocol yet.
> How can you program a BIOS if there is no IO ?

Yhe idea is to keep things minimal. Mapped io are good for this, it used
fixed adresse. You just need to write the good number inside a generic
boot manager.

Minimal things are just "copy" program from somewhere (RS232 line, HD,
...) to the main memory and then execute it, that's all. To begin, we
could also used jtag to program memory at the adress 0.

nicO

<...>