Re: [f-cpu] X-Bar replacement and PoC of massiv-parallel-computing, hints?

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 10:29:54PM +0200, Andreas Romeyke wrote:
[...]
> > The second point is: why do you want to use S/P and P/S converters?
>
> Why not?

Latency.

> S/P and vice versa is easy to build. Today, I have some discussions, a
> 2-wired bus with +high, low and -high levels are very fast, because we
> have signals like this:
>
> a: +high low -high +high -high low
> b: -high low +high -high +high low
>
> so the sum of levels on a and b are always zero. Also with 3 logic levels
> we have the the chance to reduce/compress bitrate with 4b3t-code like in
> ISDN-systems (remember: 4 clocks in binary code means 16 combinations, 3
> clocks in ternary code means 27 combinations, there also some ternärcodes
> free to use as sync)

You'll have to decode two `tits' (Ternary digITS ;) into 3 bits, then.
Everything else is too complex.

> > > Can we use the concept of 2-wired bus with serial de/encoder on every unit
> > > in f-cpu instead x-bar?
> >
> > That's too slow.  Remember that the bus must be much faster than the
> > EUs, since we'll only be able to issue one instruction every 64 bus
> > clock ticks (if there are seperate buses for each operand).
>
> No, it is not, if we have a EUs-clock of 1ms, we have on serial bus a
> clock of:
>
> size_of_register
> - ---------------- * 3  => bits/1ms + overhead_of_headers
> 4 * (sum of EUs)

That's 6 times the EU clock if there are 8 EUs... and if an EU runs at
1 GHz, your serial bus will run at 6 GHz?!

> But, one serial bus with 2 lines in above described technology is easier
> in handling than a parallel bus with 64 or more lines with a line clock
> less than serial.
>
> Remember, a parallel bus is a capacity and frequency-sensitive and costs
> many of logic (see X-bar or Shifting-unit).

Buses are evil anyway, whether they have 2 lines or 200 ;)