Re: Re: [f-cpu] Re: Project short description

hallo alle,

>De: Juergen Goeritz <goeritz@oekomm.de>
>On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Michael Riepe wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 09:22:36AM +0200, Juergen Goeritz wrote:
>> [...]
>> > No, I can't. I was wondering if it could be changed to the
>> > more open LGPL license style like with LEON. Is this possible?
>> We had that discussion (again!) some weeks ago...
>> For the moment, my answer is "no".
>That's a pity because I also don't want to open my design
>without any return involved. How to solve this situation?

there is no "solution". Would you ask Micro$oft to change their
distribution licence ? :-P

There is a probability that the F-CPU licence will change
if we get advices from legal experts : GPL has a few drawbacks
but it's the only working licence that we know. Later, a F-CPU
licence will cover the dark corners of RTL source code (all the
problems with the meanings of "compilation" and "linking" that
is different in our case), but i don't believe that our basic
idea and understanding of "freedom" will change.

>> > On the other hand, if it's not possible to change to LGPL,
>> > I would not want to invest my own money but only go for it
>> > when there is enough funding money and goods. Up to now my
>> > opinion was that you can't really live from open projects.
>> > But you are invited to proove the opposite...
>> We have to prove nothing, since we never claimed to be able to make
>> money with the F-CPU.  On the other hand, switching to LGPL won't make
>> us rich and famous, either.  I agree that commercial F-CPU users might
>> benefit from LGPL, but my primary goal never was to enable companies to
>> make lots of money, without having to return *anything*.
>Hmh! Why not found an AG and you become shareholders until
>the proof of concept is done and the first chip released?
>This way we could start with only about 100K DM.

how much chocolate could i buy with 100K DM ?

>> Interested in the mCluster project, or in F-CPU development?
>Interested in a new architecture that must be extendable
>and free the developer from that creapy kernel/driver and
>whatsoever low level adaption stuff and provide software
>portability. I do not focus on a processor alone...

We do not "only" focus on the CPU : For example i am both
a programer and electronician (rather loosy both) and i have
remarked that the CPU is the center of both worlds. This is
why my efforts are in this direction.

Concerning your reasons (I/O, programming model etc.), assume
that the CPU is the center of the computer. If the CPU is not
free the rest will remain crappy. OTOH, putting a "free" CPU
in the middle of a "non-free" HW won't solve everything
magically.

Ok, i will let others answer (i've seen nicO's answer
and i fear a flame war...).

>JG
YG