Re: (FC-Devel) Status of Development

Hi Dean,

> I recently heard about the FreeCase project and I want to contribute in any
> way possible to get this completed.  I have read the list archives to see
> what had gone on before.  I also navigated the web site as best I could.

A good start.

>I then asked about the status of the project. My concerns:
>
> 1. It seems we still don't have a complete definition of what we are
> building.

A UML CASE tool based on the rational/omg docs.  The repository is defined by
the IDL.  May have to add some bits to cover the diagrams.  The UI is a bit
woolly at the moment.  Maybe you'd like to start that side of things?

> 2. Who is working on what,

Pass.

> and how does someone wishing to contribute begin?

There are some requirements somewhere on the web site.  Write some design docs
or use cases?

> 3. The two responses that I received indicated that two people are working
> on the same area (repository) with different methods.  Are we going to end
> up with two repositories?

I hope not.  I'm in communication with Andrey and he liked my idea of using the
CORBA OA&D IDL.

I've been looking for a project like FreeCASE for ages.  I've seen other
projects which were enthusiastic but petered out.  This one looked like it was
going the same way not so long ago.  Thats why I'm looking to get some _code_
done quickly.

I've just been looking at the Argo UML code.  They seem to have UML metamodel
code which we may be able to use.  Haven't been able to DL the code from work
though :-( and its written in Java which is new to me.  Still, I enjoy a
challenge.

Chris M. Moore