RE: gEDA-user: geda & guile installation failure

SMOBERLY <SMOBERLY@Mykotronx.com> said:

> Mike:
>
> Thanks for your reply. There are two options in 'BUILD INSTRUCTIONS' at
> http://www.geda.seul.org/devel.html. I used option 1. What you're describing
> is option 2 (which I'll do instead). I thought option 1 would build and
> install the tools in the right locations but perhaps I misunderstood a step.

Both options actually assume that the dependencies are installed and working.
(i.e. Guile, glib, and gtk are built and installed somewhere on the path.)
After Guile,gtk and friends are installed and working, you can use option 1.
;-)

> It also lists the order in which to compile each tool. I'm not at my machine
> at the moment so I'll have to try this later on this evening.
>
> By the way, do you know what the default /bin & /lib locations are that
> ./configure installs to? Is it /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/lib and is this
> standard for the other packages as well? I suppose I can look at the
> ./configure script.

That depends on what the person who wrote the configure script decided.  I
always specify a prefix to make sure that it goes where I want it. (I am
usually installing geda related stuff in /home/mike/geda, to keep it separate
from OS installed packages...)

> I apologize in advance for the newbie questions.

This is what geda-user is for.

(I don't think that this question has come up here before, and now, the answer
is in the archives... ;-)

                              Mike Jarabek
                                FPGA/ASIC Designer
   http://www.doncaster.on.ca/~mjarabek