Re: gEDA-user: Newbie questions - Icarus Verilog

Emre Tezel wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I am an Electrical Enginner and a Computer Scientist, graduated two
> years ago from college. During undergrad, I worked with Verilog at
> some of my classes - to design CPUs and all. I realized that in two
> years I forgot a lot and now I want to re-sharpen my skills. I got
> really excited when I saw the open source Icarus Verilog online today.
> I have some newbie questions to you if you don't mind.
>
> Where can I get some documentation of Icarus Verilog? Things like how
> to run the compiler and simulator in Linux.
>
> That's all for now.
>
> Thank You
> Emre Tezel

Emre:

The gEDA website has a link to the Icarus website. You'll find it in the
FAQ page under B2. Here it is in case you can't find it:
http://www.icarus.com/eda/verilog/. Download the latest stable release.
I choose to use the "verilog-0.6-0.i386.rpm". It installed fine on my
Mandrake system. Once you install, there are README.txt and
QUICK_START.txt files in the /usr/share/doc/verilog-0.6/ directory. It
will tell you how to basically run the compiler and simulator. I
downloaded it just a few days ago and have been playing with it all
weekend - really cool, and FREE. Stephen Williams has done a great job.

By the way, if you want to see waveforms and stuff, I understand you can
use GTKWave as it accepts several file outputs from the compiler. I
haven't been able to get this to work yet though.

Enjoy,

Scott Moberly