Re: gEDA-user: Ngspice vs. Gnucap vs. ???

[ Ales here, I'm reposting this since majordomo didn't recognize the
  e-mail as being subscribed to the geda-dev/geda-user mailinglist. ]

-- Cut here --
From: John Dalton <john.dalton@bigfoot.com>

> now what does 'freely available' mean? And the source is distributed.

My gut feeling is that in the strict legal sense it is legal to obtain
the source from Berkeley but not to pass it onto a friend.   In practice,
Berekely seem to be turning a blind eye to redistribution of source.

It worries me that Berkeley did not follow though with explicitly
putting SPICE3 under the GPL or into the public domain.  Almost as
if they cannot quite bring themselves to let go of the source, 'just
in case' the University Administration changes its mind in the future.
As such, anything based on SPICE3 seems exposed to having the rug pulled
out from under it in the future.

Regards
John