gEDA-user: GTKWave build problem

Hi folks, one more build hurdle and I'll be gEDA-ing! In running configure for GTKWave, I get

[root@PaulsLinux gtkwave-2.0.0pre3-20030319]# ./configure
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for GTK - version >= 1.2.0... yes
checking for xml2-config... /usr/local/bin/xml2-config
checking for libxml - version >= 2.4.0... no
*** Could not run libxml test program, checking why...
*** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means
*** that the run-time linker is not finding LIBXML or finding the wrong
*** version of LIBXML. If it is not finding LIBXML, you'll need to set your
*** LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, or edit /etc/ld.so.conf to point
*** to the installed location Also, make sure you have run ldconfig if that
*** is required on your system
***
*** If you have an old version installed, it is best to remove it, although
*** you may also be able to get things to work by modifying LD_LIBRARY_PATH
configure: error: Cannot find libxml2: Is xml2-config in path?

----- So I checked LD_LIBRARY_PATH -----

[root@PaulsLinux gtkwave-2.0.0pre3-20030319]# echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/permA/gEDA/libxml2-2.6.8

----- hmmm, so where IS xml2-config? -----

[root@PaulsLinux gtkwave-2.0.0pre3-20030319]# locate xml2-config
/permA/gEDA/libxml2-2.6.8/xml2-config.in
/permA/gEDA/libxml2-2.6.8/xml2-config.1
/permA/gEDA/libxml2-2.6.8/xml2-config
/usr/local/bin/xml2-config
/usr/local/man/man1/xml2-config.1

I give up - does anybody know exactly what it's looking for? appreciate any help, thanks
--
Paul Anderson
Senior Engineer