Re: gEDA-user: geda hangs/Gtk error reported

Hi,

[snip]
>fine (much easier than compiling by hand which I've tried before..). I then
>switched to my user account to use gEDA. After editing ld.so.conf to connect
>libgeda.so, gschem seems to run ok and can edit the examples ok when executed
>directly from the shell. I thought I'd use geda to manage my projects, but
>when I start it from the shell I see
>
>bryantc@bonobo:~$ /usr/local/geda/bin/geda
>
>Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate loadable module in module_path:
>"libthinice.so",
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Unless I'm completely mistaken, this is not a system shared library per
say (i.e. a ldd `which geda` will probably not display a dependancy on
this library).  It is a gtk module which implements the gtk+ thin
ice theme.

You need to use another environment variable to point geda at this
module/.so file.  I don't remember the name of this environment variable
(if it even exists for gtk+ 1.2). Where is this file on your system out
of curiosity?

>I can create a project, but geda hangs if I try to open it. If I close geda
>using the X in the top rh corner of the window, I see

	Did it work properly before you switched users?

	If you don't want mess around with this, then you could try
running make xinstall again and reinstalling gEDA suite again.  Crude, but
probably effective.

								-Ales