Re: gEDA-user: Connect vias to ground plane with no thermal

It seems like all of the ways recommended would work. Maybe when I finish this project I will look at what it would take to inividually toggle vias from isolate to thermal to directly connected to plane. I haven't looked at the source yet, but it seems possible. That would probably be the best way since I have hundreds of power and ground vias. (2 208 PQFP's on this board)

Darrell Harmon

harry eaton wrote:

Does anyone know if this is
possible? I have found how to turn off thermals for the entire ground
plane, but this shorts it to other vias like 3.3V. I could do this with
the commercial package I had been using before (Cadsoft Eagle).

Probably the best way to do this is with a line of zero length that joins
the
polygon. To create a zero length line, (of course on the same layer as the
plane),
begin with a fairly coarse grid, say 100 mils. Then draw a single line of
any
length you like (I recommend moving one grid point). Now set the thickness
of the line large enough to span the gap and configure it to touch the
plane.
Then grab one end-point of the line and move it to the start point and let
go.
It's now just a circle. Don't try to move it without selecting it, because
you'll
just move one of its points. Select the circle, and copy it at the center
point
to the buffer. Now you can use the buffer tool to place this over each via
that you want to have a solid connection to the plane.

Cheers,
harry

p.s. If you want to set the line thickness very precisely use:
":ChangeSize(Line, xx, mils)" where xx is the thickness (diameter) in mils.
Don't type the quotes.