gEDA-user: Connecting nets to power or gnd symbols

I have another question about using power and gnd symbols:   Suppose you want to create some separate
gnd or volt plane areas, but then connect them in one place just before you are done with a layout.   This is
error prone to do with many instances of the second gnd or volt symbol that stays separate until just before
 done, since you wold have to change many many places in your schematic.

So, is there a way with gschem to make one netname control the effective name on
many many wires in your schematic and then change that
effect by changing one place or substituting a different symbol?  When I say "control the effective name"
I mean as when a gnd symbol overrides a name on the net it connects to.

One way to do this would be to go to the full hierarchical way of using gschem along with gnetman.
Is there any other way for multipage non-hierarchical gschem schematics?

--
John Griessen    Cibolo Design       Austin Texas