Re: gEDA-user: Assertion based verification using VCD and VHDL

Stuart Brorson wrote:

Hi --

I am trying to locate an open-source tool chain that I can
use for assertion based verification of a design.
[snip]

I extract SPICE for the design and run simulations
of the design in SPICE. I then take the raw output from
the SPICE run and generate a VCD (value change dump) file.

Interesting. What tool do you use to get from .raw to a .vcd file?

What I would really like to do is to be able to use my VHDL
test bench to verify my SPICE simulation to make sure that
there were no errors introduced during the layout phase. I
could do this by running my VHDL test bench against the SPICE
results. It seems that the one piece that I am missing is
a 'vcd2vhdl' type program that could take a VCD file and generate
a VHDL entity/architecture that I could simulate. In theory
the same signals would exist in both my VCD and VHDL designs and
therefore my assertions could be applied to the converted VCD
entity/architecture.

So, does anyone know of a 'vcd2vhdl' type tool? It seems like
a basic tool would be pretty simple to develop, but why invent
the wheel if I don't have to.

Ummm. . . I can't imagine how the tool would work, unless it just
translates the .vcd file to a series of "signal <= value AFTER time"
statements. Synthesizing logic from a bunch of waveforms seems to be
a difficult task, if you ask me.

Finally, is there a better way to verify the operation of a
digital circuit simulation done using SPICE?

Not that I am aware of, unless you want to shell out $100K for a
commercial mixed-signal design package. The gEDA project has gotten a
couple of expressions of interest from folks interested in using it
for mixed-signal chip design. Peter Kaiser has a website with one or
two interesting tidbits:

http://www.easy-asic.de/

He has apparently used gEDA & spice-sdb for mixed-signal ASIC design.
However, his page has nothing which directly answers your
question. You might try e-mailing him using the addr on his page.
Finally, since there is such interest in using gEDA for mixed-signal
design, my question to you is: How much is a free-standing vcd2vhdl
tool worth to you and your company? It seems to me that such a tool
would be of some interest to all kinds of ASIC designers . . . . .
Stuart

Seems to me that writing a behavioual model in verilog/vhdl, simulating that (in the hdl),
and comparing the vcd from the hdl to the spice derived vcd might be a lot simpler,
and of more general use.

john