Re: gEDA-user: Assertion based verification using VCD and VHDL

Hi --

> I am trying to locate an open-source tool chain that I can
> use for assertion based verification of a design.
[snip]
> I extract SPICE for the design and run simulations
> of the design in SPICE.  I then take the raw output from
> the SPICE run and generate a VCD (value change dump) file.

Interesting.  What tool do you use to get from .raw to a .vcd file?

> What I would really like to do is to be able to use my VHDL
> test bench to verify my SPICE simulation to make sure that
> there were no errors introduced during the layout phase.  I
> could do this by running my VHDL test bench against the SPICE
> results.  It seems that the one piece that I am missing is
> a 'vcd2vhdl' type program that could take a VCD file and generate
> a VHDL entity/architecture that I could simulate.  In theory
> the same signals would exist in both my VCD and VHDL designs and
> therefore my assertions could be applied to the converted VCD
> entity/architecture.
>
> So, does anyone know of a 'vcd2vhdl' type tool?  It seems like
> a basic tool would be pretty simple to develop, but why invent
> the wheel if I don't have to.

Ummm. . .  I can't imagine how the tool would work, unless it just
translates the .vcd file to a series of "signal <= value AFTER time"
statements.  Synthesizing logic from a bunch of waveforms seems to be
a difficult task, if you ask me.

> Finally, is there a better way to verify the operation of a
> digital circuit simulation done using SPICE?

Not that I am aware of, unless you want to shell out $100K for a
commercial mixed-signal design package.  The gEDA project has gotten a
couple of expressions of interest from folks interested in using it
for mixed-signal chip design.  Peter Kaiser has a website with one or
two interesting tidbits:

http://www.easy-asic.de/

He has apparently used gEDA & spice-sdb for mixed-signal ASIC design.
However, his page has nothing which directly answers your
question. You might try e-mailing him using the addr on his page.

Finally, since there is such interest in using gEDA for mixed-signal
design, my question to you is: How much is a free-standing vcd2vhdl
tool worth to you and your company?  It seems to me that such a tool
would be of some interest to all kinds of ASIC designers . . . . .

Stuart