Re: gEDA-user: 20050329 install problem

On Wednesday 06 April 2005 18:53, Daniel Nilsson wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 12:13:45AM -0400, Marvin Dickens wrote:
> > Thing is, I like to install from source. So, regardless if the distro
> > uses apt, rpm or whatever, I'm still hoarked - RPM and apt only know
> > about their packages and have no knowledge of things installed from
> > source. Even Gentoo is clueless regarding source installations. As for
> > the NFS thing, I agree that that would be nightmare mode.
>
> I think what is needed to help people install from source is a fairly
> indepth guide that explains how all the related tools interact and how
> things are supposed to work. That is, what environment variables
> effect how configure find libraries and how configure interacts
> with pkg-config etc. Surely someone must have written one of these, I
> just haven't found a good one. For me it was pretty tedious and steep
> learning curve to figure all of this out, but now that I know it it
> all makes sense.
>
> The individual pieces of software (pkg-config, autoconf etc) all have
> very detailed documentation but that typically not what the end user
> needs to know in order to compile from source. More of a hands on
> guide that ties it all together would probably help a lot to get
> people that wants to deal with source packages to get over the steep
> learning curve a little faster.
>
> Surely someone must have written one of these guides ?

The first time I installed gEDA (Two years ago...?...) I had a couple of
problems with dependencies. The majority were related to SuSE distro
centric issues with required gEDA dependencies. So, I fell back on
what I knew would work: Install all dependencies and Geda from source.
I've been installing gEDA from source ever since. My complaints regarding
gEDA dependencies are not related to dependency list as specified by gEDA,
but to the one thing every distro is guilty of: Bastardizing libraries to fit
market strategy de jour and/or political statements.  I say shame on
the distro's (Commerical and non-commerical alike).

Regards

Marvin