Re: gEDA-user: 20050329 install problem

On Wednesday 06 April 2005 21:37, Daniel Nilsson wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 08:27:15PM -0400, Marvin Dickens wrote:
> > On Wednesday 06 April 2005 18:53, Daniel Nilsson wrote:
> > > The individual pieces of software (pkg-config, autoconf etc) all have
> > > very detailed documentation but that typically not what the end user
> > > needs to know in order to compile from source. More of a hands on
> > > guide that ties it all together would probably help a lot to get
> > > people that wants to deal with source packages to get over the steep
> > > learning curve a little faster.
> > >
> > > Surely someone must have written one of these guides ?
> >
> > The first time I installed gEDA (Two years ago...?...) I had a couple of
> > problems with dependencies. The majority were related to SuSE distro
> > centric issues with required gEDA dependencies. So, I fell back on
> > what I knew would work: Install all dependencies and Geda from source.
> > I've been installing gEDA from source ever since. My complaints regarding
> > gEDA dependencies are not related to dependency list as specified by
> > gEDA, but to the one thing every distro is guilty of: Bastardizing
> > libraries to fit market strategy de jour and/or political statements.  I
> > say shame on the distro's (Commerical and non-commerical alike).
>
> Marvin,
>
> This may sounds ignorant, but I don't know what you are referring to
> here. I used SuSE many years ago myself, but have settled on
> Debian so maybe I have different experience they you do...
>
> How is market strategy related to bastardizing libraries ? I'm not
> saying it's not related, I just don't understand how it's related...

There are lots of examples. The one that most people can relate to
is this what both RedHat and SuSE did with CDRecord. Here is the
quote from the author of CDRecord's website:

Both RedHat and SuSE publish bastardized and defective variants of cdrtools in
their distributions.  If you have problems on RedHat or SuSE systems, first
fetch a recent original cdrtools source, compile it yourself  and run the
original instead of broken software that illegally claims to be cdrecord.

The url for the above is:

http://cdrecord.berlios.de/old/private/cdrecord.html

Also, if you google "cd dvd  burning problems linux" you
get literally thousand of hits related to the alteration.

Regards

Marvin