Re: gEDA-user: 20050329 install problem

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 08:27:15PM -0400, Marvin Dickens wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 April 2005 18:53, Daniel Nilsson wrote:
> > The individual pieces of software (pkg-config, autoconf etc) all have
> > very detailed documentation but that typically not what the end user
> > needs to know in order to compile from source. More of a hands on
> > guide that ties it all together would probably help a lot to get
> > people that wants to deal with source packages to get over the steep
> > learning curve a little faster.
> >
> > Surely someone must have written one of these guides ?
>
> The first time I installed gEDA (Two years ago...?...) I had a couple of
> problems with dependencies. The majority were related to SuSE distro
> centric issues with required gEDA dependencies. So, I fell back on
> what I knew would work: Install all dependencies and Geda from source.
> I've been installing gEDA from source ever since. My complaints regarding
> gEDA dependencies are not related to dependency list as specified by gEDA,
> but to the one thing every distro is guilty of: Bastardizing libraries to fit
> market strategy de jour and/or political statements.  I say shame on
> the distro's (Commerical and non-commerical alike).

Marvin,

This may sounds ignorant, but I don't know what you are referring to
here. I used SuSE many years ago myself, but have settled on
Debian so maybe I have different experience they you do...

How is market strategy related to bastardizing libraries ? I'm not
saying it's not related, I just don't understand how it's related...

Thanks...
--
Daniel Nilsson