Re: gEDA-user: PCB: ground network common practice newbie question

>   For two sided boards, Is it common practice not to draw any ground
> lines, but to rely on the polygons to connect all grounds as the final
> stage of pcb drawing?

If it were me, I'd use regular traces for ground lines to ensure
connectivity, but clear the "clears polygons" flag.  Later, drop a
polygon over the whole side and it will fill the empty space and
happen to connect to ground wherever it can.  Not all of the plane
would be grounded, but that's better than having a disconnect.

>   Another quesion. If you draw big polygons to fill any empty space
> with ground copper on the the board, how do you deal with the pieces
> of copper that are not connected (debris?)? For example, those in
> between lines.

Normally, the spacing between traces would be sufficient for the
polygon to go "around" the lines, but it is something you have to be
careful about.  In general, don't put many traces on ground planes,
but that means four or more layers.