gEDA-user: Adding groundplane?

Hi --

I just started playing with gschem and pcb today, and have almost
finished a simple board.

I am having two problems.

The first is that when I use the line tool to manually place a line, I
often can't get the line to touch the pad -- the crosshairs just won't
go there.  I'm guessing this is an issue of screen resolution, and that
when the board is laid out, things will join up.  Is that correct?

The second is the subject line of this message.  After placing all the
lines, some via autoroute and some manually, when I then use a rectangle
over the whole area to add a groundplane, only a few of the lines remain
visible; it seems others are overwritten by the rectangle tool.  How do
I "flood" the board to put a groundplane, without losing the lines that
I've previously laid?

Thanks,

John