Re: gEDA-user: Finished drawing two sided board in PCB. Any comment?

Stuart,
  Thank you very much for your suggestions. details follow...

On 4/30/05, Stuart Brorson <sdb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Vax 9000,
>
> So I looked at your Gerbers again after you posted the whole set.
> Overall I am very impressed.  I suspect that this is not your first
> board!

I did two or three loose TTL boards ten years ago with Tango. I think
I am a newbie again after so many years! This time it is a very tight
board with high density chips and chips with fast edges that are
totally new to me.

> Some comments:
>
> *  As far as I could tell, you did a great job with all manufacturing
> tolerances.  I checked your design against the tolerances listed on
> the Advanced Circuits webpage:
>
> http://www.4pcb.com/fast_design_quote_online_pcbs_tolerances.htm
>
> Solder mask and solder paste look fine to me.   However, did you check
> the drill diameters against your PGA and DIP pin diameters?  I don't
> recall a typical pin diameter; your drill diameters are .029.  Is this
> enough?

Thank you for your suggestion. I will check the pins I have to make
sure that they fit.

> *  Finally, your fab drawing shows the outline of the board extending
> waaaaay below the actual edge of the board.  You may want to examine
> this yourself.  PCB autogenerates the fab drawing based upon the
> active drawing area you used when laying out the board.  I suspect
> that you extended the drawing area down when you were working.

You are correct! I used the area to rotate parts, and to bring up
parts from foo.pcb.new. I forgot to resize the board though.

> The problem is that your board is not a simple rectangle.  I suspect
> that you actually want to route out along the silkscreen outline of
> the board.  The problem is that PCB has autogenerated your board
> outline in the fab drawing assuming that it is the rectanglular
> drawing area.   PCB developers: this is a misfeature, IMHO.

I supposed that the silkerscreen out line is the board outline. I will
follow other's suggestion to use a outline layer.

vax, 9000