Re: gEDA-user: Design Lab Equipment

On Apr 1, 2007, at 10:42 AM, John Griessen wrote:
I'll look at your schematic soon. Al was surely thinking of
a full analog curve tracer "like Heathkit made". A USB powered one would not be as much
device-smokin' fun...
A powered curve tracer with an ethernet port to automate it would be a good lead in
to real world tests of power handling parts -- where they can build up heat for so long during a pulsed situation,
then you have to stop and wait for cooling....

The knob cranking curve tracer with newbie operator often
kills parts before they ever get to those zones of operation....unless you use a short pulse duration, with more complexity of design and operation.

Even for a starter curve tracer, I'd want it to deal with power circuits, so 150V, 300V in Europe.

I started to design a digitally-controlled curve tracer last summer, but I got busy searching for a new house and then moving. I hope to work on it again but I don't see myself doing it before summer or autumn.

My design was somewhat unusual in that its user interface is a terminal (or terminal emulator on a computer) and I was going to write the firmware to produce graphs in real time on the terminal using ReGIS (a very old DEC line-oriented graphics protocol for terminals) or Tek4010/4014.

           -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL