Re: gEDA-user: Design Lab Equipment

Peter Clifton wrote:
On Sat, 2007-03-31 at 17:53 -0400, al davis wrote:

How about .,,.. transistor curve tracer. How much do they cost? Why doesn't every college EE department have one on every bench?

I think of the old 4th-year engineering project my supervisor has in his
office - a valve characterising circuit. Now that's far more retro ;)

There are still a few out there who understand valves - and build
valve-amps etc. (sadly I'm not one of them, but I have a few
collected... I own 3x 15kW plate dissipation triodes - from old RF
induction heating kit ;)

If you want to know enough to design audio amps with tubes, read the short appendix in Electronic Principles by Gray and Searle. Assuming you know how to design with transistors, it is not that hard. There are a few issues here and there though that seem to be poorly documented though. Sometime I'll post one of my favorites.

-Dan