Re: gEDA-user: HowTo?

PCB can't manage too many layers now. the maximum
number is limited by screen resolution. lesstif gui
admits more layers (more than 32 at 1280x1024), gtk
less (about 25).

>It affects the sizes of many arrays, including the
>FLAGS array, which
>is part of every line, pad, pin, via, polygon, etc
>(two per byte, 64
>layers = 32 bytes per object).

There is no need to keep the thermals for every
object, just for pins/vias. there exists a patch to
simply fix this (a sample is on pcb sourceforge
tracker).

>not sure how the gtk GUI deals with the variable
>number of layers in a

When there are too many layers they overlap other
objects
or go out of the screen. I believe they can be packed
in a scrolled windows.