Re: gEDA-user: TwoStageAmp example

On 4/2/07, al davis <ad136@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Monday 02 April 2007 12:44, Patrick Doyle wrote:
> I'll take a look at that. I read on Stuart's web page that
> ngspice "experienced a burst of development during 2004, and
> incorporates a number of new patches which have increased its
> stability and augmented its feature set, and is therefore the
> preferred open-source SPICE (for now)." So I started by
> looking there.
>
> I was probably a little scared away from gnucap since it
> didn't have "spice" in its name :-)

Spectre  and Nanosim don't have spice in the name either, yet
they are the preferred commercial simulators among those in the
know.

Speaking as one who is not in the know, I have often heard things like
"I took their circuit, spiced it, changed a couple of components, and
it worked like a charm", or "spice models for our parts are available
on our web site".  So I assumed that spice was the way to go.  Also,
when I googled "gnucap", the first site that popped up was
www.gnu.org, which listed version 0.31, released on March 26, 2002 as
the latest version.  So once again, I was scared away.

I'll try not to be so frightened now, but your warning about a lack of
beginner documentation does give me a little trepidation, and I'm
worried about losing the 4 hours and 13 minutes of experience I have
gained with ngspice, but I expect I'll survive.

I am mainly interested in using the tool to do some circuit
prototyping on a virtual benchtop.  If I can draw the schematic with
gschem, netlist it with gnetlist (presumably with the "spice-sdb"
backend?), and simulate it with gnucap, I'm just has happy to learn
that as I am to learn ngspice.

If I'm still thinking "old school" here, then please feel free to
point me in the more state-of-the-art direction.

Thanks...

--wpd